A Electronic Taskboard module has been deployed within WebQI. It is currently being trialled by the paediatrics team at Monash Childrens.
Taskboard is a web based communication system that replaces paging of after hours cover doctors for non-urgent tasks.
A typical workflow would be as follows:
- A nurse creates a task on taskboard, eg 'review antibiotics'.
- Patient details are retrieved by WebQI from the patient administration system.
- Patient unit, cover, ward and bed are assigned by the system (based on PAS details).
- Background and task detail are added by the nurse.
- The task is added to taskboard, showing the list of tasks for a given cover doctor.
- Taskboard users can filter tasks by cover (eg front, back, surgical and paediatric cover), ward and unit.
- The assigned after hours cover doctor can acknowledge the task in a single click.
- Acknowledged tasks are time stamped, so the requestor knows the task has been seen.
- A 'reply' function allows the cover doctor to ask any clarifying questions, or supply a status update for an ongoing task
- Once the task is completed, the cover doctor marks the task completed.
All staff can view the list of current tasks and can track the staus of individual tasks, as well the current task load.
The user interface has emphasised simplicity, so as to make creating, tracking and completing tasks as straightforward as possible.
Communication of current task activity is transparent, leading to all staff being more informed. As a result, paging is reduced to urgent tasks only and less time is wasted on unnecessary communications (e.g. no status checks are needed).